Monday, April 7, 2008

Monkey gets one gear



With the up and coming single speed nationals happening in a few weeks in Rotovegas, the Karate Monkey has dropped a few things:

-28 gears - now running 34 x 20

-1.5 pounds - now weighs in at 24 pounds
It's first ride, sans gears was a disaster - the wheel pulled over about a zillion times. Luckily I was onto my way to work, so it was a worthy excuse to be late.
Thanks to the guys at Surly I am now the proud owner of:http://www.surlybikes.com/parts/tuggnut_pop.html -these are the business and after the installation and second ride there is no more burning rubber on the chainstay.
Just sweet riding.
I dropped the truck off at the mechanics after work and rode home via the Sticky Forest and Outlet (river) trail to home.
I still walked a hill early on - I never said I turned into a smacked up TDF rider just thru having 1 gear.....but riding up Ho Down, which for me on the dualie is a granny/middle chainring affair was just a breeze.
Going down Venus was bumpy in places for sure, but with nothing to do but pedal, carve the corners and occasionally brake it was a blast.
Dublin Back was a smoking descent as was the Sidle track where some kind fellow has trimmed back a few bushes and trees.
All in all, this bike is very cool, a lot of fun and a worthy addition to the stable.
And if some one ponies up with some cash, they can have Keighleys little Klein and then we'll have two Karate Monkeys in the garage.

No comments: